Lets Us Know More On:
At KARE Campus (Knowledge age academy of research and education)
Today, the importance and role of effective communication is recognized throughout all industries and sectors. And proficiency in communicative English is a much sought after soft skill in their prospective recruits by managers and employers in all sectors.
In the new or current economic order many organizations are transnational, working in different countries. The technical and management executives are faced with the challenge of managing diverse work force with members from different socio-cultural-linguistic backgrounds. In the present highly competitive environment, managers can ill afford to allow communication gap arising out of these diversities to hamper the performance of their work teams. Interpersonal communication is a key to enduring long-term success. In the current globalized context, it is but wise to acquire or develop one’s communicative skills in English – the language that has been universally accepted as the language of globalization.
Certificate Course in Communicative English is intended to promote all round communicative competence in English by providing intensive practice in the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing.
Eligibility - Plus Two Pass or its equivalentc
Duration - The duration of the Course will be five months
Certification - University of Kerala
Mode of Examination
1. The Course will be assessed in two parts Part I Spoken Communication and Part II Written Communication. Each Part/Paper will carry 100 marks. There will be a separate minimum of 50% marks for each part/paper. Those who fail once can reappear and pass the examination in part in subsequent Examinations.
2. Paper I Spoken Communication will carry 100 marks. It will have two parts, ie. A. Oral Examination and B. Written Examination. The oral will carry 60 marks and the written, 40 marks.
3. Paper II Written Communication will carry 100 marks.
The date of Examination will be intimated to the students by the Institute and students shall submit their applications for examination.
Issue of Certificate
Successful candidates will be issued Certificates by the SDE, University of Kerala.
The Course has two components –
1. Spoken Communication.
2. Written Communication.
A. Spoken Communication
1. Importance of spoken communication.
2. Familiarization of phonetic script - BBC phoneme - deviations Indian and American – stress - word stress and sentence stress; intonation.
3. Conversation - Basic techniques: how to begin, respond, interrupt, hesitate and end. Typical British and American styles. Different types of conversation - for establishing social rapport, for seeking and giving information - for expressing various emotions-agreement / disagreement - degrees of likelihood / certainty - speculation - persuasion etc. for getting things done - advising - expressing gratitude - greeting, interviewing - Telephone conversation making enquiries - booking, cancelling tickets etc. making short speeches - comparing.
4. Listening comprehension - listening to news bulletins, dialogues, speeches - Reading - rapid, intensive - steps to increase reading speed - skimming and scanning.
B. Written Communication
1. Current Usage: British and American - Phrasal verbs - idioms commonly used - synonyms, antonyms, collective nouns, words often confused. One word substitution - reading/saying dates, time, amount of money, phone number etc.
2. Writing short messages - letter writing: Informal-formal: invitations, requests, enquiries, apologies, explanation, congratulations, condolences - applications for jobs etc.
3. Describing objects, persons, places etc. Note making - writing advertisement - Report writing - reporting dialogues, events etc. reporting for newspapers.
4. Curriculum Vitae.
5. Telegrams, Fax, E-mail